Sunday 21 March 2010

Some Notes...

This is just a mini post to list a few of the interesting things people have been telling me which do not necessarily relate to one of my posts.

The 'Families' post is still the main one, please continue commenting on this post and my earlier posts

Here is a message I received from a friend on Facebook:

I was having a conversation with Mike today and we came acoss some very different terms. For instistance i use the term 'mard' or 'mardy' when talking about people or animals that are being overly affectionate and clingy. Alternatively it is used for someone who is scared.
Wiki definition: to mard (third-person singular simple present mards, present participle marding, simple past and past participle marded)

1. (Northern England) To cosset (a child)
Another we came across is the use of cockney rhyming slang 'bin lids' when refering to kids.
Mike came up with 'doy' as an alternative to 'duh'. I have never heard of this.
There was one more but we've forgotten it for the moment.
Hope these prove interesting,
Kim

And an expression my boyfriend's family uses:

'the top brick off the chimney' used, for example, in the following context:
A: she want a pony for her birthday
B: what else does she want, the top brick off the chimney!
meaning that she wants something difficult to obtain, which she will not necessarily even use

Please keep these little gems coming, it gives me great pleasure to hear these stories, and who knows, you might want to start using some of these phrases yourselves

1 comment:

  1. Francesca Greer20 April 2010 at 10:51

    I always used "mardy" when someone is in a mood!!!
    " stop being so mardy "

    Fran xx

    ReplyDelete