Saturday 27 November 2010

Let's Make This a Project

I started this blog with big aims and then ended up not having time / forgetting to update - and responses to previous posts were distinctly underwhelming. However, now I want big involvement to make this idea really gain some momentum. Basically I have the idea that this blog can be used to look at the development of slag on a micro level, in other words, it's very hard for linguists to determine the origins of phrases such as 'posh', 'chav' etc. Largely this is because people make up or hypothesise reasons for how these phrases came into being and eventually it becomes almost impossible to separate the myth from the truth. However, with family slang someone can tell you exactly how the phrase developed.

So, this is the format I need you to submit your family words in:
The word or phrase:
How your family uses this word/phrase and what it means:
Where the word came from (for example, is the word from someone's mispronunciation, is it a reference to a TV show, or a current issue, or just a description of an item's function?):
Who invented the word and how far it has spread:
Your age and home county:

(the age question is just so I can get an idea of how long the phrase has been in use) - if you don't know the answer to any of the categories, just write 'unknown'

Here is an example of the kind of thing I'm looking for:

The word or phrase: Zapper
How your family uses this word/phrase and what it means: Used as a word for the TV remote control 
Where the word came from: probably made up by my Dad, just as a descriptive term
Who invented the word and how far it has spread: only my family of four use it, not the rest of the family
Your age and home county: 22, Oxfordshire

Or:
The word or phrase: Ifeen (pronounced eye-feen) 
How your family uses this word/phrase and what it means: used as an alternative pronunciation of 'icecream' 
Where the word came from: a mispronunciation by my brother when he was a toddler 
Who invented the word and how far it has spread: invented by my brother, now used only by me and my boyfriend 
Your age and home county: 22, Oxfordshire


As far as I have noticed these are the sort of things families have special words/phrases for which may help you recall some of your family's phrases:

Words for objects, especially gadgets such as remote controls, computers etc
Phrases expressing approval / disapproval
Exclamations used as an alternative to phrases like 'damn', 'bless you', 'excuse me'
Descriptions of physical qualities such as being full, feeling ill, being content


I look forward to your comments


 

4 comments:

  1. The word or phrase: Doggers

    How your family uses this word/phrase and what it means: Used as a word for slippers

    Where the word came from: As an infant our eldest son could not say the word Thomas, which he pronounced as Doggers

    Who invented the word and how far it has spread: Our eldest son, naming the famous engine truck depicted on his slippers. It is only used now by my husband and I in memory of our child rearing years


    Your age and home county: 55, Oxfordshire

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word or phrase: scrodger

    How your family uses this word/phrase and what it means: Used as a word for a scouring pad for washing up

    Where the word came from: probably made up by my husand

    Only my family of four use it

    Your age and home county: 55, Oxfordshire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Liz,

    Here are a couple that spring to mind – inevitably I’ll be reminded of more when visiting home for Christmas. I’ll try to remember some more...

    Word: mangoo.
    Meaning and use: colourful alternative to ‘pencil’ – “Where’s me mangoo”, “Pass us the mangoo”, etc.
    Origin: a then-very young relative who couldn’t yet master the rather tricky ‘pencil’. Why exactly mangoo, no one knows.

    Word: upcited.
    Meaning and use: equivalent to ‘excited’ – “I’m very upcited for the cake”, etc.
    Origin: my auntie. I think this is a beautiful word. I’m sure you could say something about Lakoff and Johnson, what with ‘up’ tending to be ‘good’ – their banging on about metaphorical concepts being related to our physical experience, etc. (I can’t remember the exact terms, I’m sure you can!).

    Matt, 24, Gloucestershire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matt, those are perfect :D

    ReplyDelete